That government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish!
A second deadly attack in Canada this week has delivered the tragic message to America's closest neighbor and trading partner that the deadly war with terror has suddenly arrived there.
Weeks after ISIS called for lone-wolf attacks by any means necessary in allied countries including Canada, a gunman Wednesday shot a guard in the back at Canada's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Minutes later that gunman or an accomplice entered the main building of Parliament in Ottawa. A prolonged gunfight ensued and the gunman was killed.
The capital's downtown, directly adjacent to the federal complex of buildings, was put in lock-down.
Police later identified the dead gunman as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a convert to Islam formerly known as Michael Joseph Hall, with a long record of drug and robbery offenses.
In a nationwide address Wednesday evening, Prime Minister Stephen Harper, a conservative who warned weeks ago that terrorism might come to Canada soon, said:
"In the days to come, we will learn more about the terrorist and any accomplices he may have had. But this week's events are a grim reminder that Canada is not immune to the types of terrorist attacks we have seen elsewhere in the world. Let there be no misunderstanding: We will not be intimidated. Canada will never be intimidated."
The "week's events" he referenced began with a Monday attack just south of Montreal when another Canadian Islam convert ran over two members of the Canadian Forces, killing one. The convert, whose passport had recently been seized as he attempted to travel to Turkey, was shot and killed by police.
Besides being by far the United States' largest trading partner with in excess of $1.5 billion a day crossing the largely undefended border, Canada has been a loyal coalition partner of its southern neighbor. One-hundred-fifty-eight Canadian military members have died alongside Americans in the long war in Afghanistan.
And Harper has also joined Obama's jerry-built coalition to combat ISIS in Iraq and Syria.
House Speaker John Boehner expressed solidarity with Canadian parliamentarians, many of whom had barricaded themselves in meeting rooms during the shootout in the marbled hallways. Boehner said:"The world is growing more complex and dangerous by..............
How do you stack up in a national sampling of political news consumers -- your sources, habits and friends?
A fascinating, major new survey by the Pew Research Journalism Project is examining political polarization in the United States of 2014. The report comes just two weeks before a crucial midterm election that will be widely read as a six-year verdict on Barack Obama's performance and agenda, whatever that is today.
Here are just some of the project's numerous intriguing findings:
* Conservatives tend to flock around one major news source for their news of government and politics -- Fox News -- perhaps because the list of known conservative media consists of Fox News and Fox News. Also Fox News.
* Liberals draw information from a wider variety of media and express far more trust in more major media than do conservatives. Perhaps because there are more liberal-oriented media to trust.
* Liberals are much less tolerant than conservatives of political opinions differing from their own, especially on social media, more consistently choosing to Unfriend, Block, Mute or sever friendships with those whose politics they disagree with.
* Overall, the most-trusted news media was The Economist, though it was recognized by a small sector of respondents. It was followed in trust by another British-based outlet, the BBC. Take that, MSM!
* The least-trusted source overall was BuzzFeed, followed by the radio programs of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Ed Schultz, who was tied as untrusted with Al Jazeera America. Daily Kos was in there too.
* Pew's list of media outlets that were more trusted than distrusted across the political spectrum was lead by the Wall Street Journal. Others more trusted than distrusted to a lesser degree included ABC News, USA Today and Google News.
* The Center's list of media about equally trusted and distrusted includes the Drudge Report, Daily Show, Huffington Post and Breitbart.
* Media generally trusted overall include Fox News, Bloomberg, Yahoo News, Washington Post and The Guardian.Fox's dominance can be explained, for instance, by..............